Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, and with over 250,000 new cases of ovarian cancer presenting every year, we wanted to take the time to inform you of the signs, symptoms, treatment options and pertinent statistics surrounding the seventh most commonly diagnosed cancer in women worldwide.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Pelvic or abdominal pain
- Trouble eating or feeling full quickly
- Feeling the need to urinate frequently
- Heartburn or upset stomach
- Back pain
- Menstrual changes or constipation
- Pain during intercourse
- Ovarian cancer causes more deaths than any other cancer of the female reproductive system.
- Ovarian cancer is the eighth most commonly occurring cancer in women and the 18th most common cancer worldwide.
- Ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer-related death among women.
- Based on data from 2013 to 2015, about 1.3 percent of women will receive a diagnosis of ovarian cancer at some point in life.
- Ovarian cancer accounts for 2.5 percent of cancers in women.
- Ovarian cancer rates are highest in women ages 55 – 64.
- The median age at which women are diagnosed is 63.
- The median age of death from ovarian cancer is 70.
Ovarian cancer is a potentially life-threatening disease, with a woman’s lifetime risk of dying from invasive ovarian cancer an alarming 1 in 109. As cancer is one of WorldCare’s covered conditions, members with a suspected diagnosis of ovarian cancer can contact WorldCare and receive an in-depth, multi-disciplinary medical second opinion conducted by leading experts at the top-ranked research and academic hospitals, who have access to the latest clinical research and information on diagnosis and optimal treatment strategies. The hospitals of The WorldCare Consortium™ are supported by over $4 billion in biomedical research funding each year and are comprised of over 20,000 medical specialists and sub-specialists.
If you would like to learn more about WorldCare’s Medical Second Opinion service, or if you are interested in offering the service as part of your value-added benefits or to help differentiate your insurance product from the competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.