American Stroke Month: Three easy steps to decrease your chances of a future stroke
A new month means new monthly medical awareness topic! This month is national American Stroke month and the team here at WorldCare would like to help inform you on the issue of strokes and what you can do at home to decrease your chances of having one.
Living a healthy lifestyle is the easiest and cheapest way to start preventing a future stroke. Making a healthier change to your life is so beneficial that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) claims a healthy lifestyle change could prevent 80 percent of strokes. What exactly does making a healthy lifestyle change entail you may ask? Well, to start you should focus on the following:
- Reducing your cholesterol and blood pressure by limiting your consumption of foods containing saturated fats, trans-fats, and salt.
- Incorporating low fat, high-fiber foods into your diet.
For more dietary suggestions check out the CDC’s nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity program website.
Now that you have evaluated your diet the next step is to use all that new, energy-rich food to increase your weekly exercise. Don’t be worried we are not recommending you to hit the gym daily. More realistically the Surgeon General recommends:
- Two hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise for most, for younger people the recommendation is an hour of moderate exercise once a day, which could include the following:
- A brisk walk
- Jumping rope
- Catching up on some much-needed yard work
3. Maintain a healthy weight
With your healthy diet and increased activity, the next step should already be in the works; a healthy weight is the next crucial factor to decrease the risk of a future stroke. To determine whether you have a healthy body mass index (BMI) you may want to visit a dietician or doctor to determine if you fall into a healthy or risky BMI or you can visit the CDC’s Assessing our Weight website.
Preventing a future stroke is crucial if you’d like to live a long healthy life. These tactics are easy and can all be done with little effort. If you have already suffered from a stroke and would like a medical second opinion contact us today.